Nato forces accused of killing dozens of civilians in Aleppo on March 6, 2013

Nato forces accused of killing dozens of civilians in Aleppo on March 6, 2013

The first convoy carrying food, medical supplies and ammunition began its route towards a military hospital in rebel-held areas of Aleppo on April 14.

The regime has said it will withdraw fro바카라m Aleppo after the UN Security Council votes on a Russian proposal that Aleppo be declared a “safe area”.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said 12 people had been killed in the regime bombardment of areas in rebel-held Aleppo city, including children.

UN Human Rights chief Navi Pillay said the new ceasefire would not be extended beyond 30 May.

Analysis The agreement, however, will not extend past 31 May. So we are facing an impossible deadline – we must either find something that goes beyond the regime or we are out of options. We still have one choice – to allow them to continue shelling, where they are doing devastating damage to civilian populations. There are plenty of people in Aleppo who wish they had an alternative, but it seems unlikely.

But Russian leader Vladimir Putin and Syrian government foreign minister Walid al-Muallem said the Geneva process would take place when Presid바카라사이트ent Bashar al-Assad holds a meeting of the political council of state.

The truce is due to be formally signed later on Friday – but is still expected to be suspended pending a UN-brokered solution to the crisis.

The International Syria Support Group (ISSG) hopes the meeting will include US President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron.

What is the Syrian ceasefire?

The ceasefire has been in place since 2 April when it was announced by the Russian-Syrian government team.

It lasted for 90 days and a deal agreed to by the international community including Russia, Syria, Iran, Syria’s Hezbollah, Turkey, Iraq, Egypt, the US and the UK.

Syria’s government and armed oppositio바카라n say the ceasefire is to stop bombardment and enable aid to reach the population of millions affected by the war.

However, Human Rights Watch has said the truce is not working in practice and the truce has failed to prevent a “fog of death” that leaves tens of thousands in eastern Aleppo “in the dark”.

‘Makes life tougher’

International aid agency Oxfam has warned the ceasefire may have failed and that even though the US and its allies have put pressure on the Damascus government to allow humanitarian access, the rebel forces have chosen not to back down and continue to shell Aleppo.

Image copyright AFP Image caption